Tuesday 13 November 2012

Lick Of The Month #6

LOTM#6 is actually a bit of a mashup between a lick that of my own that I've been working on this month with an ending of Cannonball Adderley's.



The main part of the lick came from me wanting to work on 7-3 resolutions in a ii V I. I wrote the lick in quite a formulaic way by writing in the 7th at the end of a bar and the 3rd at the start of the next one and then filled in the blanks! I tried to target all the main chord tones and included a few chromatic notes too. At the end of the first bar I used an enclosure pattern too target the 7th of C minor, this is another technique which I'm trying to get to grips with at the moment!

Added onto the end of the lick is a chromatic run which I have heard Adderley play in numerous songs! I used this ending to target different chord tones and it can also be used to target any chord tone from the next chord you are coming up to! You can hear Cannonball play it in Autumn Leaves at 4:19...


And also in One For Daddy-O at 2:02 and again at 6:00!


Here's the PDF too accompany this lick, hope you enjoy it! If you have any comments or criticisms about my lick please let me know in the comments section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment